Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Spirituality of Music

During a visit with friends and family in San Antonio for Thanksgiving, we got into a discussion about classic church hymns, which drifted into the subject of music generally and the old songs we used to love as teenagers and young adults. A few days later I had a similar discussion with my church cell group. In both instances most everyone present was to my knowledge a sincere and enthusiastic but fairly "conservative" believer in Jesus -- yet there was a certain liveliness to this particular topic. Everyone, it seems, has their personal set of "greatest hits."

It all reminded me a bit of Plato's teaching in the Republic (or more properly Allan Bloom's interpretation of Plato) about the emotional, psychological and even political power of music. Music can inspire us to worship, motivate us to acts of courage and kindness, and generally extend the horizons of our vision beyond our comfort zone of rationality and predictability. I have written entire sermons whose inspiration began with the hearing of a song on the radio while driving around town.   

One of the songs I mentioned was "Roll with the Changes" by REO Speedwagon. For those who can't remember it, or are too young to have ever heard it in the first place, click below (there is a can't-miss guitar solo with a keyboard lead-in that all starts around 3:21):  



Some of the lyrics go as follows:

I knew it had to happen
Felt the tables turnin'
Got me through my darkest hour
I heard the thunder clappin'
Felt the desert burnin'

Until you poured on me
Like a sweet sunshower

So if you're tired of the
Same old story
Oh turn some pages
I'll be here when you are ready
To roll with the changes....


Now, I don't think anyone would confuse REO Speedwagon with a church worship team, but just a bit of tinkering would make this song worthy of a place in a revival service. Here we have the call to hope, to endure hardships, and to experience "new life," so to speak. Then of course there are the songs of pure worship that need no tinkering. It was with full knowledge of the human sensitivity to the emotive influence of music that Paul taught the church in Colosse to edify one another "in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your heart to the Lord" (Col. 3:16) In terms of sheer power to inspire reverence for Christ, the "Revelation Song" may be my all-time favorite:




With the holidays upon us I must also recommend "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" courtesy of my son Vance and his band, Divisions:




Finally, having just returned from a Karaoke birthday party for a friend, I have to add that music can be downright hilarious -- and in that sense it can promote joy in the way of laughter and mirth. Few things are funnier, after all, than people with precious little musical talent making a go of it anyway.... 

2 comments:

  1. I believe when God created us in His image, I think He also instilled in us the love music the way He loves music. It is one of His attributes that He passed on to us. I feel like when I hear a song I really like, it’s like God telling me: “That’s how good I feel when I hear y’all sing for Me!!!” Doesn’t matter if it’s Air Supply, or Journey or Chris Tomlin…..God passed on His gene of loving music to us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, I agree with you -- though I do have serious reservations about lumping in Air Supply with good music.

    Seriously, one of the things I wonder about is what kind of music we'll hear in heaven. It must sound... well, heavenly.

    I used to imagine at the end of my days being led up a sort of crystal elevator into the heavenly courts with "Good Times Roll" by The Cars playing all around me. But no, I really can't imagine the angels singing that crazy song any more than them singing "All Out of Love." ;-)

    ReplyDelete